Monday, March 10, 2014

Bridge naming should be a community effort

In the past few weeks, a great conversation has started in our community about the naming of the Dallas Avenue bridge. I have received several suggestions from community members, and they are all wonderful options for this bridge.

Selma is home to many voting rights activists--those who paved the way for equality in this country for all Americans.  Selma is also home to many veterans and war heroes, who deserve our undying support and gratitude.  Selma is home to dedicated public servants and community leaders, who make sure your interests are well represented. There are so many great options to name this bridge, and I want a name that we can all be proud of.

I want to make sure that naming this bridge is a community process. After all, this isn't my bridge to name. This bridge doesn't belong to your legislators or City Council members. This bridge belongs to you. 

For that reason, I think it would be unfair to the residents of Selma if Senator Sanders and I picked a name for the bridge without giving all ideas equal weight and consideration in this process. 

The ability to vote is a core value for Selma. We are the cradle of the Voting Rights Movement and just finished remembering the 49th anniversary of Bloody Sunday last week. In the spirit of voting, I want to open up the bridge-naming process to the members of the community--I want to let you decide.

I have set up an online polling system that will allow you to submit ideas for the bridge name and vote for your favorite. I plan to work with local businesses, civic organizations and community leaders to help get the word out about naming the bridge and include as many voices as possible. Voting will be open until the June 3 primary election and I will submit a resolution to name the bridge for the 2015 legislative session.

I hope you will join me in this process to give the Dallas Avenue bridge a name that we can all be proud of. Selma has such a rich culture and heritage; narrowing the name down will be difficult, but I know you'll help.

You can cast a vote or submit a name by visiting my Facebook page or my website at www.darriomelton.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment